Pages


Humor Improves Instruction


Welcome teachers and other blog surfers,

This blog was created as a graduate school assignment for a course titled Humor and Adult Education. I know you are wondering, why you didn't have a requirement like that in grad school. Don't begrudge me, I didn't design the curriculum at NIU.


It is my goal to educate you (hopefully you are all adults) while discussing humor research (trust me it's not an oxymoron) in a humorous way. Now say that ten times faster! Hopefully, you will pick up a strategy or two that helps students learn more effectively, while making teaching more entertaining.

So sit back, strap on your seatbelt, hold onto your hat. I plan on taking you for a ride.

Sincerely,

A Funny Teacher (or at least one who tries to be.)

Monday, October 24, 2011

I Want to... But I Just Can't...50 Excuses

So, you are intrigued to become a more enjoyable teacher, and you've read some of my other posts that could help you get there, but you are still stuck.

You Want To... But You Just Can't

Ronald A Berk (that professor from Mars) in his book Professors are From Mars and Students are from Snickers reminds teachers that:
It has been estimated ( not sure by who) that people remember:
10% of what they hear
30% of what they see
60% of what they hear and see
80% of what they hear, see and do
100% of what they hear, see, do, smell, feel, taste, inhale, inject, and purchase on credit.

Therefore, if we are going to get 100% of our students to meet standards as measured by testing such as the ISAT or better known as (I Stink At Testing or Illinois' Stupid Ability Test or Is Standardization Always Trustworthy), then we better use humor to ensure that they are fully engaged, receptive, tuned-in, turned-on, and progressing towards mastery or at least towards laughter.

If this isn't enough un-cited research to convince you that you should be using more humor for the good of the students, then click on the picture to the right. This picture will lead you to 50 Excuses for Not Laughing in the Classroom. You may suffer from some of these symptoms. Have no fear, your educational doctor (ate student) is here.

Let's take a moment to cure the top 10 symptoms on this list!

1.) I tried it once and it didn't work. 
What would have happened if Edison said that the first time he tried to invent the lightbulb?


2.) Our school is highly academic.
First, I have to say... I hope so... then point to the multitudes of research that shows humor helps students retain information.

3.)The students are already hysterical.
Great... that means you don't have to be that good!

4.) I will have to ask my principal first.
Really? Okay fine then. If it makes you feel comfortable, then ask. Start with something like, "According to a whole bunch of research to increase engagement, classroom climate and memory, I would like to..."


5.)The children might miss their busses.
Avoid using humor the last 15 minutes of the day to allow students to pack up in time to catch their busses.


6.) I'm not dressed for the occasion.
Really? What were you planning on wearing a Bozo the Clown costume? Right apparel not needed.

7.) I don't have time for such non-sense.
Then why are you doing all that other non-sense? Make time.

8.) It's not proper training for the real world.
Okay, this may be my opinion, but I rather hire the guy or gal who is personable, witty and engaging then the numb one.

9.) I might get laugh lines.
That's what Botox is for.


10.) I don't do stand-up comedy. 
No one is asking you to do stand-up comedy. You can certainly sit down too!

Some of my other favorite excuses include...


31.) I'm too old to start laughing now.
Don't worry, there is no age limit.


33.) What if I lose face?
You can go look for it, or teach without one.


41.) I'm saving it for summer vacation.
Without laughter, be prepared for a year that feels like 20 years. 

43.) I read that laughter destroys brain cells.
I think you are getting laughter confused with something else.

So, don't be a party pooper by getting yourself stuck at one of these road blocks. Create your own pathway, trail, or road to a laughing classroom. If you come to a roadblock, pull out your list of 5o excuses and ask for help finding a better path or at least one that ends at an ice cream shop.

There is no time, like laughing time and there is no better time to laugh, then now!

Do it here, do it there, do it everywhere.





0 comments:

Post a Comment